Masthead header

Hadlea’s Birth { Fort Smith, Arkansas Newborn Photographer – Kala Rath Photography }

Jessica, our assistant here at KRP and my best friend-but-basically-sister, and her husband Garrett recently welcomed their first baby into the world.  I was very honored to be present during her labor in the hospital, and am so thankful she has allowed me to share her birth story with you all!

Jessica { Pregnancy is a long process that tests your patience with much suspenseful sitting and waiting. Waiting to see or feel what the little life that is inside you decides to do next. On my 36 week checkup, my OB/GYN checked my cervix and I was 50% effaced. A week later showed no change, and two subsequent checkups in the next two weeks were the same.  Garrett and I started getting impatient, and life as an expectant mommy/human incubator started to get really uncomfortable.  With curiosity and hope, we tried a few of the “natural” home labor starters, but nothing seemed to budge. Finally, at my 40 week checkup, when there was still no change with my cervix, my OB/GYN and I decided together that I should probably be induced. On Friday, April 11th 2014, I checked in at Mercy Labor and Delivery. Friends and family joined and waited with a level of nervous anticipation and excitement, which could only be surpassed by my own.  In fact, I had never been so anxious in my life. I was nervous not only because I was about to begin a process with so many unknowns, but also because I was about to be a mom… for the very first time.  I was beside myself to meet the tiny new life that had been forming inside me for the past nine months. At 7 p.m., they started a tablet that was meant to help thin and dilate my cervix. Another was inserted at 11 p.m. and again at 3 p.m. Contractions picked up right around 7:30 p.m., right after the first tablet, nothing major. My OB/GYN came in at 7 a.m. the next morning to check me. Surprisingly, there was still no change, so he broke my water and started Pitocin to try to get things started that way. Contractions picked up and got stronger as the day progressed, but never got steady enough to bring any change to my cervix. Around 1:30 p.m., my OB/GYN came in to see if there was any more progress. To his surprise, my cervix had only thinned to about 75% and had only dilated to about a 1 or 2. After hours of waiting, he decided that he would need to perform a C-section. I was exhausted and ready to meet the bundle of joy I had been sharing my body with for the past 40 weeks; ready for it to all be over. From that moment on, things seemed to fast-forward.  At 3:17 p.m., my sweet Hadlea was finally here! I couldn’t wait to hold her and love her, but first I had to go to recovery. Time there dragged on for what seemed like hours. When I finally got to hold her, it was the best moment of my life. I would have gone through all the pain and suffering I had gone through two-fold for her. All of the love you can imagine and more for such a small person. Who knew this thorough and absolute  love was possible?

See it on our website:


Fort Smith, Arkansas Newborn Photographer - Kala Rath Photography

Share onFacebook Tweet toTwitter Pin onPinterest EmailSubscribe

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *